Sunday, September 7, 2014

Who am I? Why I care about the social media revolution in black and latino communities?

My name is Sarah Diaz. I am a 22 year-old Black woman from the South Bronx. The course title initially struck me because of my background, being both African-American and second generation Ecuadorian. This is my last semester at Hunter. I will be graduating with a Bachelor of Arts in Sociology. I have no minor although I have considered several such as Urban Studies and Women and Gender Studies. My initial plan after graduation was to attend the Silberman School of Social Work in the Community Organizing, Planning and Development method program. But I have decided to gain employment immediately after Hunter in the hopes of moving to Seattle next year with my boyfriend and friends. 
This course will pose such a juxtaposition for me personally, because I know I represent the many young adults and adolescents of color that are subjected to the digital divide. I lack many tech skills that I personally know some five year olds to have. I do not use many social media platforms and have never been much like my peers in terms of being current on trends, terminology, and newer models of social media. I like to think this lack in my life stems from my personality and personal preferences, but I know a great deal of my disconnection from social media is the lack of technology access I have had throughout my life. I did not have computer in my home until I was in the eighth grade. Sconex was the first social media platform I used. I signed up for it in 6th grade during computer class at a Catholic elementary school I attended in Harlem. Even then I remember not enjoying the site or being as popular as my classmates. I was not accustomed to taking pictures and posting them on a website and interacting with people through a virtual world as opposed to face-to-face. 
It seems as though in 2014 everyone has access to a computer and has basic computer skills. But according to many studies this is far from reality. I am particularly interested in learning about the cultural ideals Black and Latino folks have on societal issues. For instance, this past week my facebook timeline was filled with comments, memes and videos about a young lady that alleged she was drunkenly raped at a party she attended with friends. The opinions people (mostly black and Latino) posted on the site reflected a spectrum of ignorance on rape and rape culture to shaming the ignorance and providing basic education about rape for women, particularly Black women (no means no, not convince me). I am also interested in learning about how blogging can be a powerful weapon for the Black intellectual who wants to connect with peers in ways they are accustomed and interested in. Currently the only social media platform I use is face book.

No comments:

Post a Comment